Monday, June 20, 2016

Catharsis, a beginning.

Okay, so here we go.

Sometimes it feels like I do things on a whim, but really, it's not like that at all.  The things I do on a "whim" or on a moment's notice are actually the things that have been on my heart for a long time.  So when the iron is hot and I strike fast with the fury of a thousand hammers (which is pretty typical of my personality,)  my inner voice pauses for a moment and says, "Are we really doing this?"  That is when my heart smiles and says, "Yes. Yes, we are."

That was my artistic attempt at explaining why I've started a blog.  Really though, I've just got a lot of words inside this soul and no place for them to go sometimes. Before I go on,  I have to share a Greek with you--katharizo (καθαρίζω.) It's a verb meaning "I cleanse or purify."  It's used in the New Testament in both a physical and spiritual sense.  I saw it the other day when reading over some Greek in Matthew.  It's the word used when Jesus cleanses the leperous man in chapter 8.  

Our word catharsis has an etymological relationship with katharizo.   Today's catharsis carries the idea of purging or emotional release, but it is easy to see the connection between cleansing and purifying the heart and soul through purging and emotional release.  

I hope this blog can do just that.  I pray that as I let the words of my heart pour out, they may bring me a cleansing release, and I pray that others too may ride those currents of thought and emotion and come to their own place of release under the guidance of the Holy Spirit.   

So what's this blog going to be about?  Well, probably the serious, the strange, and the seriously strange.  Whatever wells up in my heart between entry to entry.  


No comments:

Post a Comment